Re: Request for discussion.

Silicon Avatar (zitz@infinity.ivdev.com)
Thu, 9 Feb 1995 14:49:59 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 8 Feb 1995, Casper Dik wrote:

> >> Which is why Linux procfs has tons of security holes.
> >>
> >> Casper
> >>

> >Such as?
>

> Hm, they seem to be fix now.  In early rleases the permissions
> of the fd and cd and exec files weren't right.
>
> Now it uses some ugly hack that looks like the modes on the symlink
> are 700 (lrwx------)  which only seems to work on the funny symlinks
> under /proc.
>
> Hm, it just occured to me that, as root, hijackling connections under Linux
> is real simple, you just open the right /proc/pid/fd/<num>

Indeed ... I don't think there really is a lack of root-able ways of getting
*anything* hijacked or somesuch on *any* machine, regardless of procfs usage
or not :)

<> Stephan K. Zitz                  <>  My mind is my best friend...    <>
<> zitz@infinity.ivdev.com          <>   And my worst enemy... GABBPUY! <>
<>        Integrated Visions -- Watch out, is on its way....            <>